Monday 2 March 2009

Busy busy!

It probably goes without saying that I've been busy. When I haven't been outside, I've been outside. And when I haven't been doing that, I've been busy butchering a moose. One thing most people who don't work with game biology, or don't hunt fail to realize is that moose are huge animals. A moose head is bigger than my torso. And considerably tastier, too. However, they're quite the animal to butcher on your lonesome.

Life should be calming down just a wee bit, now, so I can throw more frequent bloggage your folks' way. Here's a random picture from off my snowmachine:
Something really interesting I noticed was the two sorts of replies I got when I told people how much moose I'm giving away (a lot). Most of my friends from the city got hung up on it. They couldn't understand how or why I was giving away three quarters and a bit of hamburger, which is a considerable porting of an animal. However, when my friends from the bush have found out, not one of them has bat an eye. The divide might be all up in my head, but from my perspective, it seems real enough.

Anyhow, I'll be adding my pictures from the field to my wed. photo rotation, so you'll get to see them.

Oh, before I forget: What the heck happened to the wings this weekend?! Did they fall asleep on the ice? This is just wrong! How could they go from a great Shark's game earlier this week to this monstrosity?And to top it off, the Nanooks lost the Gov' cup. Again. Glad I didn't put any money on it. This has been a bad weekend for me, hockey-wise!

2 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

If I didn't know that AQIS would stop a parcel of moose meat at the border I'd be sorely tempted to ask for some... I'd even pay postage. But alas, Aussie quarantine folks are not a fun bunch.

Glad you got a moose. I've found 'roo meat tastes like a cross between caribou and moose. It's also 99.4% fat free. Very tasty, but gamey.

TwoYaks said...

Oh you bet they'd have a heart attack over that! Frankly, it's the most sensible approach. I've never been fond of the US's `let's ban its import after it's already a problem` attitude.

Shame it means no moose, though.


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast