Friday 6 February 2009

Inversion Layers

As I've eluded to, I've spent some time in Utah (aka, the firey furnace) doing various Utah things. Any strangeness on my part is because I had my (very few) brain cells roasted alive in the sweltering heat. Never seen Railroad tracks go wavy gravy like Dave-y. I digress.
Utah is fantastically gorgeous, but it's got its problems. Let me tell you, the local beer selection in Salt Lake City (SLC) is awful. Oh, and for much of the winter, the air is neigh unbreathable. They get inversion layers too. Actually, they get worse inversion layers, in depth, duration, and pollution trapped in it. Everyone knows about Mexico City's bad air, but fewer people know that in an SLC inversion, the air can get much, much worse than Mexico City.

There's a very lovely post from a physicist at the U (what they called University of Utah, since `U of U` sounds dumb) about the role physics and geography play in making and keeping inversion layers. Something Fairbanks and SLC have in common!

2 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Speaking of beer... did you ever track down a supply of Boag's Premium Lager?

TwoYaks said...

Still waiting to hear back from the folk who said they'd try to order it for me.


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast