Monday 4 August 2008

Pick Axe Porter

So I finally got around to trying one of Silver Gulch's beers, Pick Axe Porter. People have been bugging me enough to try their stuff, especially their seasonal, that I finally got off my keister to try some. I was looking to buy some stout today, but popular opinion won the day. I wrote the following review for it - I take my beer far too seriously. :)


12 Oz Bottle with a label of old Alaskan miners on the front. Porter pours a medium brown, not entirely opaque, and with very little head. Almost as much carbonation as a flat can of coke - I tried to generate head to little avail. Odour carries the scent of ethanol first and foremost, followed by a strong malted character. If there's anything lurking beneath these two, they don't get to come out and play.

Tastes smooth, malty, with a slightly bitter after. Flavour lingers shortly, before leaving a tingling sensation in the cheeks - almost like a carbonated bite, sans the carbonation. Smokey flavours emerge with time, especially as the beer warms, eventually turning to a charcoal-esq. nature. Goes down too fast, thanks to it's light body. It's worth noting that this beer is 4.3% ABW.

Strangely, this beer goes phenomenally well with chicken Parmesan.
Look: 3.5 | Smell: 3 | Taste: 4 | Feel: 3.5 | Drinkability: 4.5 (All of these are out of 5)
Overall: B

No comments:


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast