Thursday 20 November 2008

Beer Notes from Tuesday

I cracked open a bottle of Dark Force, which I bought from Gold Hill Liquor (along with a bottle of The Abyss that I shared with the neighbours as a `thank you.`) I think, after that, I'll be laying off the Russian Stouts for a while. I feel like I need to having something sweet, as a change. Perhaps it is time to sample some of the `Lambic` offerings. Not the old school, sour things. The new and modern krieks or framboises.


Dark Force, by Haandbryggeriet, Norway.
The bottle is a slender 50cl, with a dark, clear label, and a sticker showing the date it was brewed. The beer is an opaque, dark brown, with an easy pour and a light, tan head. The carbonation is light, and the head quickly turns to a ring 'round the glass. It has an intense, yeasty smell, with ready notes of apples and malts. The alcohol is totally undetectable. However, the taste is heavy, with a deep, bitter cocoa bite. Dark Force is a smoky beer that seems best as a digestive, with something to compliment how it covers the mouth in a syrupy fashion.

A-, 4.1 of 5

No comments:


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast