Monday 10 November 2008

So I finally bit the bullet, and bought a pair of those Steger boots that seem so popular around here. They're god awful expensive, but people say they last for years, so I'm looking for a good return on my investment. Importantly, people who don't just sit around all day. A couple folks around my work wear them, so they're definitely Work_OK.

I like how laidback we are: It's pretty common for faculty to show up in carharts, boots and a sweater. Wool socks are okay. You can tell I'm dressed up for the Monday because I'm wearing one of those oxford type shirts. This isn't true at other institutions, and other cities. But it should be!

I know it's winter, but I've been itching to get outside and bum around a bit on a weekend. Just 'cause. Go find some new places I haven't been before. Explore a bit. See what I can find.
While writing this post (actually, I was mostly writing emails to co-workers), I accidentally broke my F key. Don't ask. Anyhow, I got a new one put on there, and it's just plain weird. The rest of my KB is worn in, and then there's this one, shiny new key. I'm tempted to take a belt sander to it. :p

2 comments:

Arvay said...

What university requires people to dress up, nowadays? Perhaps smaller liberal arts schools? Every place I've been to has people dressed really casually.

TwoYaks said...

Yes, but! You went to CA, eh? ;)

There are still a few hold outs - religious places like BYU or Liberty U have a dress code, some Ivy league places still do, and as you mentioned, some smaller Liberal Arts places do.

But there's required dressing up, and expected. At U. Utah, dressing up isn't required, but there's an unspoken expectation that you at least go in khakis and a polo shirt, or a really nice pair of genes and a button front.

I'll hasten to add, it's not common on the student end, grad or undergrad (Though, back to my U. Utah example, the Undergrads were pretty well dressed). Rather, Staff and Faculty can be expected to be fairly neat, well dressed and orderly.

Get what I mean?


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast