Monday 1 February 2010

Board of Fish makes a decision on Yukon Kings.

The Fish Board settles on something to try and salvage the Yukon King fishery. From the story from Daily News Miner:
FAIRBANKS - The Alaska Board of Fisheries on Sunday took what some fishermen say is a major and others say is a minor step toward rebuilding the declining Yukon River king salmon run.

In an attempt to get more older, bigger and more productive kings on the spawning grounds, the Fish Board voted to prohibit subsistence and commercial fishermen on the Yukon from using gillnets with mesh larger than 7.5 inches starting in 2011.
I'm not a fisheries expert, so I don't know if this will be effective - I'll ask some of the people across the hall. But I worry that for the lower Yukon, the gear change is going to hammer them. Like the news article said, people are already feeling times are tight... from Emo in the last two weeks alone, I've got two offers to sell me stuff they probably shouldn't be selling me.

We really need something other than commercial fishing down there. *sigh*

1 comment:

Arvay said...

You know what you call a fish with no eyes?

A fsh


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast