Monday 13 October 2008

Beer Notes from this Weekend

I tried `Negra Modelo (dark)' by Grupo Modelo, despite the fact I'm not usually a lager fan. I put my thoughts on the beer below. I'm not sure where you can get it in this area, since someone else bought it for me.

Negra Modelo: 3.7/5. B.
A dark burgandy with light carbonation that almost immediatly seems to fade. Little head retention. Smells of yeast with a slight under current of spices. Taste is viscous, cool and creamy across the tongue. It has a light oaken notes, with a light nuttiness and sweet undercurrent. Not a very strong tasting beer. There's a delayed, slightly bitter aftertaste that fades quickly. Drinkability is high, because its inoffensive play in the mouth, and because it doesn't bludgeon you with either flavour or alcohol.

2 comments:

Alaska Steve said...

Negra Modelo is one of my favorites, it isn't stellar but it's consistently good. I home brew out here on the island and am bottling a batch this afternoon. I agree with you totally - life is too short for cheap beer . . . cheers!

TwoYaks said...

Agreed; it's pretty not-bad for a Lager. Nice, mild spicyness to it. I'd imagine it'd go great with things with strong flavours.

Oh, I wish I had the time to homebrew. I know homebrewing is one of those things you make time for, though. Used to be good friends with some Utah homebrewers, when I was stuck down there. Learnt a lot (and drank a lot!) from them. I periodically think about making a go at it.


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast