Tuesday 24 March 2009

Put on your what?

Cathy up in Kotz had this really cute video from the TV in the 80s, that was filmed at Noatak. It was so funny how close a lot of the inupiaq words are to the yup'ik words! I thought I should go through and make a list of the yuk words, and how close they were!
  • House/Tupiq/Ena - I don't see any relation there.
  • Pants/Kamikluuq/Qerrulliik - I wonder how Kamikluuq came to be. I can see a base in there, and then there's 'luuq', which yugcetun is used for bodyparts (luq). Strange. I don't think qerrulliik is the best way to translate the inupiaq, because I think they mean more than pants-pants. I asked, and someone said old time seal pants were ciisqurrilitaq (no promises on spelling!). Not much of those, anymore. Heh. Maybe `Car hart-ak...` or `kaa ggaatak.` ;)
  • High boots/Tuttuluuq/Kamguk - People in Hooper Bay say tukellek for foot (instead of it'gaq). Maybe Takete- and Tuttu are relatives?
  • Parka/Atigi/Atkuk - Form is similar.
  • Hat/Nasaun/Nacaq - Even more similar is nasquq (for head).
  • Mittens/Aatakatik/Aritvak - If you say both fast, they feel like the same.
  • Winter/Ukiuq/Uksuq - So close!
  • School/Aglavik/Elitnaurvik - I think `vik` is the same in both, but they're put on different words. This happens even in different yup'ik areas, for things that weren't around before the Russians.

2 comments:

Finnskimo said...

OK Ready?!

Tupiq - stick house. Iglu - sod house...
Kamikluuq - fur pants - Kamik - fur boots...
Tuttuluq - Carbiou boots - Tuttu is Caribou in Inupiaq...
Atigi - calico parky, with fur inside and cloth outside...
Nasaun - Hat, Nasruan - head! ...
I thought mittens were Atkatik, but what do I know, I'm not sesame street!...
Ukiuq - winter time, don't forget we have all kinds of words for what the weather is. Ukiuq is just kinda if you're talking about wintertime....
Aglagvik - place that holds pencils! AKA School!

OK there's my two cents! And the more translated meanings of those awesome sesame street videos!

TwoYaks said...

Hah! So great! Ena would be sod house. But these days, it means any house.

We have tuntu for caribou. What's your `luuq` make things mean, then?

You have words for an old style parka? I think it'd just be `atkupik` yugcetun, or maybe just atkuk.

Igartuq is writing, if you're `igar-` person (or Algnartuq, which is the one I know) so a pencil would be igarcuun. A place for pencils would be igarcuusvik.


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast