Thursday 28 May 2009

Grey, Grey, Stay a day...

Some people are bemoaning the grey and rain, but I'm preversely pleased it's dampened up a bit. For one, it'll help with the fires. For another, 30C is just too hot for us in the interior! Okay, so it's too hot for me... It looks like it'll all clear up on Sunday, which I hope is enough for them to get a handle on the McGrath Fire.

Sadly, the rain has meant I can't apply a 3rd coat of varnish to the boat. That might seem an excessive amount of marine varnish, but for plywood, it's really a minimum. I'm looking at 3 coats of varnish, and one coat of over-sealant for the whole boat. Next one, I think I might go with bentwood to avoid plywood. Plywood is convenient for shaping, and doesn't need steamed to shape, but if there's a weak point in all of this, it's got to be the plywood crosspars. If I did bentwood cedar, then I wouldn't really need to do more than a single rubdown with linseed oil. And even that might be over-kill.

I've got the amiq coming to me in the mail, plus some some sealant. I won't get to sew it on until after I get all the chines lashed in good, which will come after I've got all the wood sealed. Ended up costing me quite a bit, but less than if I got it from Fairbanks.

2 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

I feel sorry for you with those freezing temps. But your kayak is coming along nicely! Where're ya gonna use it?

Finnskimo said...

move to Kotz...its snowing here today!


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast