Tuesday 19 May 2009

Caugak ukuk?

For those of you who forgot what we had up for naming, here's the picture again!This is on a lake near my home, and it contains the following!
x2 Bonaparte's Gull (Larus philadelphia). Naruraq (maybe?).
x2 Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) I don't know this one.
x1 Mallard (Anas latyrhynchos), or Curcurpak.

I like ducks much more than I like other birds. Sometimes, you see rpak on the end of animal names, which means big. So does vak, so Qimulvak would be a big dog, and tuntuvak is a big caribou (better known as a moose!). So a mallard is a big curcuq? There's no such word. Or, not anymore. :)

This if I were to just ask, it would be too easy. These are bears. One is a blackbear, and one is a brown bear.



But which is which? :)

3 comments:

flying fish said...

I think the cleaner skull is the brown bear. Bigger muscle attachments, wider face and more dish shaped snout.

gpc said...

Yeah, I think what flying fish said. Actually, I was just relying on the wider face. (thank goodness I at least got the mallard right!)

flying fish said...

laughing...I was thinking at least I got the Bonaparte's right


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast