Wednesday 10 December 2008

"Iqmigyugtuten-qaa? Ugh."

The title comes from a conversation I overheard a few months ago. One that gives me a bit of hope. Arctic Economics has a great story on iqmik use in the K-Y. Iqmik is doped chew, or as someone once described it (thus endearing me to them), `nasty shit.` People from outside the area are frequently struck by just how many people chew out there, even given that the level of chewing in Alaska is higher to begin with. It's lead to a big of an oral fixation, I think - I've been offered chew, and when people figured out I don't, I've been very frequently offered gum. Very frequently. Some folks carry around great big packs of gum around with them. I guess what I'm saying is it's a lot of gum.

I hadn't even been slightly tempted to touch the stuff. My father and grandfather had active roles in tobacco cultivation, and I've seen enough of it to want nothing to do with tobacco. My father talked about how sometimes they'd get ill just putting it in the barn for drying. And if this isn't the case (he sometimes reads my blog) I don't want him to correct me, because it's a factor in keeping me away from it.

Anyhow, I strongly recommend you check out the story.

No comments:


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast