Sunday 28 December 2008

Plumbing the bottom bits of the thermometer.

Yesterday I woke up to a rude surprise in the news paper. The News Miner said in an article that the weather was about to get what meteorologists commonly call `damn cold.` They're saying the cold snap may last 10-14 days, definitely through this week at least. Well, crap.

I quickly made sure the tank had enough fuel to last me through the next little bit of high use, that my carboys were topped off with water, and that if any of my truck's belts broke, I had enough food to last me until I could get the truck fixed. Check, check and check. After that, I pulled on my bibs and went to go do all the outside stuff I wanted to do on my vacation, trying to cram it into a single day. That didn't go as well, since there was only about 4 hours and some odd sunlight. :p

It's not that I can't go out, it's just that doing anything very enjoyable outside will be limited to short bursts if its to stay enjoyable. Further, there can't be any spur of the moment stuff, because the truck needs plugged in and heated for at least 4 hours before it can be started. To be sure, I still have chores to attend to. They'll be slightly more chorish. It's just hard to have a good time at -40°.

About now, a home on Murphy Dome is looking mighty tempting. It's only -23°C up there right now.

4 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Well, it appears that winter has finally arrived in Fairbanks. At least the trails will firm up now.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

And it'll really help the ice for the carvings this year!

CabinDweller said...

Only -28 at my house right now! But am only going to do one thing today: refill the woodbox.

Arvay said...

I still ran with my dogs this morning. I have a whole new appreciation for them since babysitting this labrador retriever for the holidays. My girls are tough as nails; the retriever... not so much. Poor thing, she has to stay home while we go out and have fun.


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast