Sunday 7 December 2008

Strange comparisons

The day after I do about 10 miles on foot in the mountains, and what gets me tired? Sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours. Lovely, how that works. I didn't take any pictures while I was out, but I took a few on the drive home. I took the scenic route - I was randomly struck by the desire to wander, and after checking my fuel cans to make sure I had enough, I drove the length of the Steese Highway all the way to Circle. I'll upload them later.

I have to say, I was surprised to find Circle as it was. I had figured that since it was on the road system, it would have been one of the better villages. But compared to others, I've seen some less access that looked much better. I'm curious why that is. Obviously, I'm expecting villages to be something they're not - most of them have little economic base, and were built using designs intended for the lower 48, by people who didn't know what they were doing. Still, this puts a major crimp in my model, which assumed the the quality of development was directly related to the accessibility.

When I'd mentioned to other people that I drove the Steese, and for no real reason, I get strange looks. Apparently, most of us have had the urge to explore new places, see new things, and do stuff you've never done taken away from us at around age 17. My challenge is for everyone to poke their head in some place new, today. It could just be a shed you've never been in. Or a hall you haven't walked down. Or a building you've never been under. Explore a little!

1 comment:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

I think Circle is the way it is for a few reasons.

First, it's an "end of the road" place in the interior. Kinda like Manley.

B) The road isn't open year round (or is it now?).

Next: it's not a traditional native village area so it's been recent by white folk.

Quarterly --it would be another ghost mining town if it wasn't on the road (HA!) system.

Lastly: Chena Hot Springs seems to have overwhelmed Circle, Manley, and Tolovana. Plus it's easy to get to.


As far as my exploring today, I plan exploring every nook and cranny in the pool while on my new inflatable pool lounger --complete with dual beer holders.


Click for Fairbanks, Alaska Forecast